September 14, 2006

Windows Vista RC1 and VMware

Windows Vista RC1 and VMware - Stuck at "Windows is loading files..."

It took a while, multiple downloads of the 2.5gb ISO, playing with settings, and getting frustrated. But alas, there is a workaround to allow Vista RC1 to load in a VMware session. Simply add the following lines to the appropriate VMX file. Reboot, whala - the graphics aren't the most impressive, but at least you can get the install to work!

Rumor has it that even though the screen stalls on the black "loading files" page, you can still do a Steview Wonder setup. All the screens are there, and if you can press the right buttons at the right time - you'll have a successful install! Something about the refresh of the screen doesn't work right. Anyway, add the following two lines to the VMX file, and you should be set. You can do the install without Stevie.

svga.maxWidth = "640"
svga.maxHeight = "480"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Ali said...

i did not understand any of this entry.

Fri Sep 15, 11:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Ali said...

Stevie Wonder? interesting.

::singing::

"For once in my life I won't let sorrow hurt me
Not like it's hurt me before
For once, I have something I know won't desert me
I'm not alone anymore"

okay.. done singing.

have a nice weekend.

Fri Sep 15, 05:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Lynn said...

Hmmm...every time I read one of your blogs, I feel dumber.

Sat Sep 16, 12:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Paul said...

Interesting. I should try out RC1. I have just been to busy(read lazy) to try it out yet. But then again, I'll probably just wait until RC2 to test it.(Havent even tried server Beta 2 yet which is sitting in my car....) Heck. It doesn't even work right in VMWARE(the "perfect" machine). Oh well. On to more important matters of the day

Tue Sep 19, 08:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home